Shell invests in LanzaJet to speed up deliveries of its synthetic aviation fuel – TechCrunch

Energy giants Shell have all joined a team of strategic investors, including Nippon Airways, Suncor Energy, Mitsui and British Airways, which fund the company Lanzaget.

A spin-off from LanzaTech, one of the last surviving Climate Tech startups from the first Cleantech boom, which is still held privately, LanzaJet is taking a phased investment approach with its corporate backers to help them with additional production Are able to invest additional capital as the company scales for mass production. Facilities.

Lanzasset’s valuation after the initial investment terms, or commitment, was not disclosed.

Lanzaget claims that it can help the aviation industry reach net-zero emissions, something that will go a long way toward helping the world meet the emission reduction targets set in the Paris Agreement.

“Lanzaget’s technology opens a new and exciting path to produce SAFs using an ATJ process and will help address the aviation sector’s urgent need for SAFs. It shows that the industry can grow rapidly and deliver more while we work together, ”Anna Mascolo, president, Shell Aviation, said in a statement. “Provided that industry, government and society collaborate on appropriate policy mechanisms and regulations to drive both supply and demand, aviation can achieve net-zero carbon emissions. The strategic fit with LanzaJet is exciting. “

LanzaJet is currently building an alcohol-to-jet fuel facility in Soperton, Ga. Upon completion it will be the first commercial scale plant for sustainable synthetic jet fuel with a capacity of 10 million gallons per year.

The fuel is made using ethanol inputs – something that Shell is very familiar with. It is also something that a vast supply of oil is ready for. Through the Raijan joint venture in Brazil, Shell has been producing bio-ethanol for over ten years.

The company expects its permanent fuels to be mixed with conventional fossil jet fuels in a low-carbon intensity manner. A total of 90% of the company’s production will be aviation fuel, while the remaining 10% will be renewable diesel.

LanzaJet’s SAF is approved to blend up to 50% with fossil jet fuel, the maximum allowed by ASTM, and is a drop-in fuel that requires no modifications to the engine, aircraft and infrastructure. Additionally, Lanzaget’s SAF cuts greenhouse gas emissions by more than 70% based on a lifecycle, compared to conventional fossil jet fuels. The versatility of ethanol, and the focus on low-carbon, waste-based and non-food / non-feed sources, as well as the global availability of ethanol, make LanzaJet’s technology a relevant and sustainable solution for SAF.

By Jothi Venkat

Chief Editor Jothi Venkat Tips Clear In . Editorial chief and CEO of TipsClear.in. Representing many online News sites and Magazines. Having Media company World Wide with a team of Neutral Reporters.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *