If you’re looking for a hearty, flavorful meal that will warm your soul, look no further than short ribs. These tender cuts of beef are perfect for slow cooking, which results in a rich, savory flavor that is sure to impress your dinner guests. But how do you make the perfect short ribs? Follow these easy steps, and you’ll be a master chef in no time.
– 4-6 bone-in beef short ribs
– Salt and pepper
– 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
– 1 onion, diced
– 2 carrots, diced
– 2 stalks celery, diced
– 4 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 cup red wine
– 2 cups beef broth
– 2 bay leaves
– Sprigs of thyme and rosemary
– 2 tablespoons cornstarch (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Generously season the short ribs with salt and pepper on all sides.
3. Heat the vegetable oil in a Dutch oven or other oven-safe pot over medium-high heat. Add the short ribs and sear them on all sides until a golden brown crust forms, about 3 minutes on each side.
4. Remove the short ribs from the pot and set them aside on a plate.
5. Add the onion, carrot, and celery to the pot and cook for about 5 minutes, until the veggies begin to soften.
6. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
7. Pour in the red wine and scrape the bottom of the pot to release any browned bits.
8. Add the beef broth, bay leaves, thyme, and rosemary. Bring to a simmer.
9. Return the short ribs to the pot, bone-side down. Spoon some of the sauce over the top.
10. Cover the pot with a lid and transfer it to the oven. Bake for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, until the meat is tender and falls off the bone.
11. Once the short ribs are done, remove them from the pot and set them aside on a platter.
12. If you want the sauce to be thicker, whisk together 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of water until smooth. Add the mixture to the pot and bring it to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes until the sauce thickens.
13. Strain the sauce into a gravy boat or small bowl, and serve it on the side of the short ribs.
Short ribs are a perfect comfort food that can be enjoyed all year long. With a few simple ingredients and a bit of patience, you can create a delicious meal that your family and friends will love. So the next time you’re craving a hearty, beefy meal, try making short ribs. You won’t be disappointed!