How To Make Chilli Chicken – A Delicious and Easy Recipe
If you are a fan of Indo-Chinese cuisine, then you must have tried or at least heard of the popular and mouth-watering dish called Chilli Chicken. This dish, with its fiery and flavorful sauce, crispy chicken pieces, and the perfect balance of spices, is loved by people of all ages and has become a favorite in many households. In this article, we will guide you through the step-by-step process of making this delectable dish at home.
– 500 grams boneless chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
– 2 tablespoons cornflour
– 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
– 1 teaspoon soy sauce
– 1 teaspoon vinegar
– 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
– 1 onion, thinly sliced
– 1 capsicum, thinly sliced
– 3-4 green chilies, slit lengthwise
– 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
– 1 tablespoon red chili sauce
– 1 tablespoon soy sauce
– 1 tablespoon vinegar
– 1 teaspoon sugar
– Salt, to taste
– Oil, for frying
1. Marinate the Chicken:
– In a bowl, mix the cornflour, all-purpose flour, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger-garlic paste, and salt.
– Add the chicken pieces to the marinade and mix well until each piece is coated evenly.
– Let it marinate for at least 30 minutes, or refrigerate it overnight for enhanced flavors.
2. Fry the Chicken:
– Heat oil in a deep pan or a wok over medium-high heat.
– Once the oil is hot, carefully drop the marinated chicken pieces into the oil.
– Fry until they turn golden brown and crispy, stirring occasionally for even frying.
– Remove the fried chicken pieces using a slotted spoon and place them on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
3. Prepare the Sauce:
– In a separate pan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat.
– Add the sliced onions, capsicum, and green chilies, and sauté until they turn slightly soft and translucent.
– In a small bowl, mix together tomato ketchup, red chili sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, and a pinch of salt.
– Add this mixture to the sautéed vegetables, and cook for 2-3 minutes until the sauce thickens slightly.
4. Toss the Chicken in the Sauce:
– Add the fried chicken pieces to the sauce and toss them gently, ensuring all the pieces are coated evenly.
– Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
– Reduce the heat to low and let the chicken simmer in the sauce for a few more minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Garnish and Serve:
– Transfer the chilli chicken to a serving dish.
– Garnish with chopped spring onions or coriander leaves for a fresh burst of flavor.
– Serve hot with steamed rice or as an appetizer with a side of noodles.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions):
Q: Can I use bone-in chicken instead of boneless?
A: Yes, you can use bone-in chicken, but the cooking time may vary. Ensure that the chicken is cooked thoroughly before adding it to the sauce.
Q: Can I make it less spicy?
A: If you prefer a milder version, you can reduce the amount of green chilies and red chili sauce according to your taste preference. Additionally, you can add a little more ketchup to balance the spice level.
Q: Can I substitute cornflour with any other ingredient?
A: Cornflour helps to create a crisp texture on the chicken. However, if you don’t have cornflour, you can use rice flour or even all-purpose flour as a substitute.
Q: Can I make this dish in advance?
A: While it is best to enjoy chilli chicken immediately after preparation, you can make the fried chicken and the sauce separately in advance. Just before serving, toss the chicken in the sauce and heat it for a few minutes to make it warm and flavorful.
Q: Can I freeze the leftovers?
A: Chilli chicken tastes best when consumed fresh. However, if you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a day or two. Reheat it in a pan or microwave before serving.
Now that you have the recipe and the answers to some commonly asked questions, it’s time to put on your apron and get cooking. Treat yourself and your loved ones to this irresistible and flavorsome Chilli Chicken. Bon appétit!