Hello and welcome back to Equity, ClearTips’s venture-capital-focused podcast, where we unpack the numbers behind the headlines. Happy 2021, or our own Danny Crickton aptly named, December 38, 2020.
Equity Crew is back to start the new year with full force Alex, Natasha And Danny more on mics Chris Behind the scenes. This reunion led to the excessive Dad’s joking energy from all of us, helping us get through the mountain of news.
In fact, there was so much to talk about that we had a Baksish The upcoming episode on Saturday deals with Roblox and gaming environments. stay tuned.
For now, what’s in today’s episode:
- The remote work space is rushing to fix your zoom fatigue, or at least giving you new ways to handle it. This week, we saw alumni of GitHub raise millions for a video repository tool, and Teamflow grew more for a virtual platform to mimic the serenity (and productivity) of your currently closed office.
- WeLink raised another $ 185 million Series A round, while we could make financial naming jokes, there was plenty to unpack on the occasion of 5G and wireless.
- Divvi closed the $ 165 million, leading to a unicorn in the process. This is another win for Utah, and a big moment for the company, consider working in a very competitive space.
- We also noted a series of new VC funds that closed in the last days of 2020, including One Way, USV, Learn Capital and Madron.
- Hoppin goes to Shopin ‘, taking the streamyard to one-quarter billion because he thought it was Bopin.’ Please forgive our attempt at poetry. Despite this, Hoppin spent $ 250 million for Streamyard, a livestreaming technology platform that it intends to operate independently. The combined company has approximately $ 65 million in annual recurring revenue, with the purchased unit bringing in $ 30 million on its own. Very important.
- Twitter is also on the market with a checkbook picking up a podcasting app and a design studio.
- And on the podcast front, Amazon is also in the market. This brings up the question, What exactly is amazon Prime Minister, anyway?
- Finally, we had some words on why P&G stopped influencing DTC startups everywhere.
As you can tell from our laughter-jokes this week, it’s really nice to be back. Enjoy the show, and don’t forget Saturday Extra!
Equity falls every Monday at 7:00 am PST and on Thursday afternoons as fast as possible, so subscribe to us at Apple Podcast, Overcast, Spotify And all castes.