Harvey Weinstein Pleads Not Guilty in First Court Appearance in Los Angeles

After his extradition to Los Angeles, Harvey Weinstein He appeared in his first court to face charges of rape, which could have sent him a total prison sentence of 140 years. On Wednesday morning, Weinstein, who was successfully tried last year on two sex offense felony charges for which he was sentenced to 23 years, arrived in court and pleaded not guilty through his lawyer, Ark Worksman. registered. Throughout his time in court, the former film mogul sat in a wheelchair and his only spoken words were “thank you very much” after the judge wished him well in his case.

The full extent of the charges was determined today, when Weinstein’s April indictment was dropped. The indictment reports four counts of forced rape and forced oral sex, two counts of sexual battery from restraint and one count of sexual penetration by use of force, involving five women over a nine-year period between 2004 and 2013. During the short hearing, Worksman said he would contest three of the 11 charges based on the statute of limitations, and also called for a new assessment of Weinstein’s ill health, which has been mentioned on several occasions over the past year. .

RELATED: She Said Harvey Weinstein Sex Scandal Investigation Movie Gets a 2022 Release Date

Harvey Weinstein has been held off without bail since arriving in Los Angeles on Tuesday, and will be at the Foltz Criminal Justice Center on July 29 for the next hearing. The test date is expected to be announced in the next few weeks. It took months for Weinstein to actually find himself in court again, but on Tuesday the disgraced filmmaker was escorted via plane from New York. “At approximately 9:25 a.m. this morning, Mr. Harvey Weinstein’s custody has been handed over to the appropriate authorities for transportation to the State of California in accordance with a court order,” a New York State Department of Corrections spokesperson said.

Weinstein’s departure came as a surprise to the producers’ attorneys, as they have been fighting a long-running battle to block the evacuation since a New York state judge last month ruled that he would face 11 of his cases. Heading to LA. of sexual assault. One of Weinstein’s spokesmen told Deadline, “In April we were trying to negotiate an agreement to waive extradition for transfer to L.A. on June 15. We are disappointed that the L.A. DA passed the judge’s decision. But we expected it to happen at some point. We will fight so that Harvey can get the medical care he needs and of course, so that he can be treated fairly. Due process, presumption of innocence and a fair He still has a right to be heard.”

Back in April, Harvey Weinstein filed an appeal against his original sentence, the sentence for which he began serving in March 2020. No word yet on the outcome of the appeal, but there are some who are expecting it to go. Weinstein’s way. With the prospect of a new conviction, if found guilty of any of the 11 counts coming to trial, it is likely that the outcome of the appeal will make no difference to his future.

Subject: Sexual misconduct

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

error: Content is protected !!