FCC declares Huawei, ZTE ‘national security threats’ – TipsClear

FCC declares Huawei, ZTE ‘national security threats’ – TipsClear

The Federal Communications Commission has announced the Chinese telecommunications giants Huawei and ZTE “National security is threatened,” a move that would formally ban American telecommunications companies from using federal money to buy and install Huawei and ZTE equipment.

FCC President Ajit Pai said that “loads of evidence” supported the decision to ban technology giants. Federal agencies and lawmakers have long claimed that tech giants are subject to Chinese law, which “obliges them to cooperate with the country’s intelligence services”, Pa said.

“We will not allow the Chinese Communist Party to exploit network weaknesses and compromise our critical communications infrastructure,” the FCC said in a separate statement.

Huawei and ZTE have repeatedly rejected the claims.

The order, published Tuesday by the FCC, states that the designation takes immediate effect, but it is not immediately clear how the designation changes.

In November of last year, the FCC announced that the companies considered it as a national security threat would be ineligible to receive any funds from the Universal Service Fund. The $ 8.5B USF is the main method of purchasing and subsidizing equipment and services to improve connectivity across the country.

Huawei and ZTE were “initially named” as security threats at the time, but the formal process of handing them over to that position took months of intervention, resulting in today’s announcement.

We have sought comment from the FCC but did not hear back immediately. In a public statement, Commissioner Geoffrey Starks pointed out that labeling companies a threat is a start, but that a great deal of Huawei and ZTE devices are already in use that need to be identified and replaced.

“The Commission has taken significant steps towards identifying problematic devices in our system, but there is much more to be done,” he wrote. “Funding is the missing piece. Congress has recognized in the Secure and Trusted Communications Networks Act that many carriers will need support to move away from unreliable equipment, but it still has not appropriated funds for replacement. “

The announcement is the latest move by the FCC to crack down on Chinese technology providers in what appears to be a potential national security threat, fearing they may be forced to comply with the demands of Chinese intelligence services, monitoring both Americans and the US network Can put you at risk of or spying. But it serves telecom companies to expand their 5G coverage in a bind. Huawei and ZTE are seen far ahead of their American rivals in 5G.

The 2012 House investigation led to several claims against Huawei and ZTE Stem, which had previously been labeled a potential threat to companies.

Huawei and ZTE spokespersons did not immediately comment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *